Saturday, November 1, 2008

Teaching Kids is So Fun

So, I just finished teaching a sewing lesson to a group of 6th grade girls. It is so fun to teach kids because you get to hear them chatting with each other about their life and it brings me back to(MANY YEARS AGO)when I was in the 6th grade. They talk about their sports, assignments and friends--it is a whole different world than the one adults live in. I am noticing that it is not very different to teach adults versus kids--the learning curve and pace for beginners is very similar. Anyway, it was a fun lesson, we made pink spa pillows. The girls worked really hard and did all of the steps themselves. It is always a joy to see students faces when they turn their product right side out. Nobody's looks the same because they each have their own way of sewing--some very precise, others more creative and carefree. I have taught other subjects on and off over the years and it is wonderful to be able to combine the two things I am VERY passionate about--teaching and sewing, it always makes for a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Vanessa,
    This blog is such a great way to chart the progress on your big venture - what an adventure!! I'll check back often.

    ReplyDelete