Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Second "Sewing to Make A Difference Project"





I have few girlfriends who I talk shop about sewing with and here is our blog: http://mommaswhosew.wordpress.com/ Well, we got together for our first Christmas exchange--the first of many I hope. We decided to sew each other suprise gifts. It was so cool because I got a few things I really would have purchased for myself. Alicia, who makes fabulouse, custom order twirly skirts for girls made Sara and I AWESOME pajama/lounge pants--they are so cute and comfortable. Sara made Alica and I amazing vintage button bracelets--she has a buisness making vintage button jewelry and sewing paper products. For them I sewed two different things: for Alicia who loves purple, I made a purple polkadot clutch from muse patterns--LOVE Shannon Richards patterns http://www.museonline.net/patterns/shop.htm As for Sara I made her a pair of upcycled mitts from recycled fabric. Our exchange was really a true highlight of my holidays--we got to eat at a great restaurant in downtown san mateo, talk shop and leave with presents--does it get any better than that for a sewing junkie?

Anyway, the mitts ended up leading to my second "Sewing to MAKE A DIFFERENCE project". I decided to make and sell the mitts and donate the proceeds to a local shelter. Each pair of upcylced mitts is made from recycled specialty wools and cashmere fabric, hand embroidered and finished with a gorgeouse vintage button. From each pair I sell, 75% of the proceeds will go to supporting a local shelter down town that helps low income families. After I put the word out, I was fortunate enough to get a few orders from dear family and friends(THANKS TRACY AND LIZ FOR BELIEVING IN ME AND THE PROJECT) over Christmas. The question I keep getting is, "why 75%"? For this particular project, it is my way of doing volunteering and activism. At this stage of my life--having two small children, one of whom has on going medical issues, going out and donating my time is not really possible--However,this project allows me to donate my time in a different capacity. By sewing the mitts and selling them to raise money for a shelter--I am donating my time to the shelter by sewing. I think the mitts also are symbolic because if you purchase a pair and your hands are warm--it is a reminder that your heart is kind because you bought something that will benifit families in need. Since I have a long history of volunteering, this project really brings me back to making me feel like I can try to do a small thing to MAKE A DIFFERENCE and stay connected to volunteering which has always been very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment