Thursday, November 12, 2009

Miixed Media...?





I have always loved art. Years ago I made a decision not to study art because it seemed impractical at the time. So, instead I spent many years in class rooms studying english and sociology and I WAS MISERABLE. What I found was I did not believe in myself enough to officially go to art school. I think this is because I did not think I had the heart for it. I did not think I was dedicated enough to give myself completely over to finding my medium. Looking back now 15 years later, I really don't know if I made a mistake or not. Today, I love sewing and art and we do a lot in our home and I do it joyfully. I have had to steal hours away during my children's nap time or late nights in order to teach myself different art and sewing techniques--So maybe I am more driven now because I am having to learn it on my own--who knows..? Anyway, recently I found myself restless with my sewing. I love making my little aprons, but I felt I needed to add another medium to my list. So, I started messing around with silk screen inks and stamps. I love paint and love fabric so I wanted to playfully bring them together. I ended up stamping some cool stuff onto linen--I LOVE LINEN--it is such a neat fiber and the colors you can find it in are always so sinful! So, I took the scraps I stamped and turned them into pockets for the Vivian Elizabeth apron--I am just so tickeled at how they turned out. There is something about the marriage of ink onto linen that looks so elegant.
I just listed this Yummy little apron in the MAD shop on Etsy too. Now I am off to do some more stamping...

No comments:

Post a Comment