Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hooray For Sugar City!!






So, a few weeks ago I stumbled on a charming blog of two sisters Melissa and Lynn at http://sugarcityjournal.blogspot.com/ I was so excited because they have a Village Frock pattern that is ....believe it or not...one piece(two if you count the "optional" ruffle) I could not believe it, so I imediately ordered it. It arrived VERY promptly after my order with a lovely little thank you note for my buiseness. Shortly after it arrived I went hunting for something to "upcycle" for Annie's new Sugar City Village Frock. I found a nice skirt from Ann Taylor to recycle for this project. This pattern is as it promises-- you cut it from a folded over piece of fabric and thus just have the sleeves and sides to contend with. I got instant satisfaction from working with this pattern because after a bit of sewing time--I had a dress. There was no interfacing, gathering, linings....just the front and back. Since I upcycled a skirt, I did have shoulders to sew too--but it was not a problem. When you finish constructing the dress, you have a game time decision to make about the neck shape--it can be round, square and be accompanied by a ruffle or pleats or just left simply alone. What is so facinating is you can sew a tunic top or dress from this pattern with all of these variations--AMAZING!! In the end, I went with a ruffle and then I sewed on four sweet, little buttons by the two pleats that square off the neck(this is a suggestion given in their directions). Anyway, my little Annie has started attending a little co-op, so she wore that to school today. And I am hoping to follow weekly with something handmade for her. Next week will be an upcycled pair of pants or felted sweater. Here are some pictures of Annie in her new Sugar City Frock.

No comments:

Post a Comment