Wednesday, June 9, 2010

You SEW Little MAN!

My little Beech has been learning to sew here and there over the past few months. I have had to be accepting of a lot. For instance--he picks the worst times to want to sew (like when I am in the middle of apron production for a show or client) OR at 8pm in the evening...when neither of us is in any shape to work. Well, over the weekend I was sewing some pool cover ups for one of my best friends little boys for their birthdays(Tyler...one of my personal heros and Declan...MR. TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL)
 Beech found some of the fabric left over and a small pillow in his room and he decided to hunker down and sew a pillow cover. ALAS...the stars were aligned and it was a good time on Sunday evening for both of us, so to work we went. We had a few bumps in the road where we had to sew a few pieces together to make the back of the cover, but he did not seem to mind. For the most part, he measured, cut out and sewed it. --Can I tell you how proud he was...
Then today he had a long clinic appointment with the news of more surgery in sight and he was a little bummed. We always do something nice after a clinic visit and he asked to go to Joannes Fabrics so he could buy more fabric to make another pillow. I was so tired(the clinic apts are tough on me) But this was his pick for a treat--so I said yes. And...his sister and I followed him around the store while...he mused over different fabrics--so funny! He settled on a fleece sponge bob fabric(personally I can not stand the novelty fabrics, but this was his choice).

Then tonight after Annie went to bed, he and I worked in my studio. Again, he measured and cut and together we pinned the edge. I HAVE to be cool with how he cuts and pins because it will take time for him to get it down...but already it is getting better.

 I drew our famouse "sharpy sewing line" which helps him so much when he sews at the machine. Then, off to the machine he went and he requested I "stand back and watch and just to tell him when to stop..." MAN...IT WAS TOUGH...but at his request, I managed to keep my big mouth shut and to sit quietly as he sewed his cover. I did teach him how to use the needed up/down to walk to the corner and pivot and he got that too!
notice the stool which he uses to stand at the cut table, ironing bored and for the presser foot..
Well, he made his second cover tonight mostly all by himself. I was so happy for him not because I love sewing, but because I can tell that Beech really loves sewing too. I remember being close to his age and falling madly in love with the little after noon craft classes and I see a similar connection for him. He does other stuff--soccer and kung fu...but I don't see him as excited about them as he seems to be about sewing. --It is really touching to see him so peaceful and happy!

2 comments:

  1. What a special thing for you two to be able to share a love of a craft :) Keep on sewing and enjoy this summer - are your kiddos out of school yet? Today is the last day of school for mine - we will be working on more knitting this summer - Allen started a couple of months ago and really got it - I was so surprised and pleased. Have a lovely day on your end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Beecho!!! What a great mommy you are...I would not have been able to step back and no be in total control. The pillows look amazing.

    xo

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete