Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Many Rounds of Dying

It has been busy around here getting ready for the Easter Bunny. We started a few weeks ago with dying easter eggs. I was the art parent at Annie's co-op and I thought it would be fun to dye easter eggs(somehow I romanticized this activity in my mind to go differently). Anyway, I went in armed and ready to teach Annie's class of two and half year olds to color eggs using the philosophy that my mom taught me..."a well planned attack begins with a well planned retreat".

                                                 Round 1
 At Annie's co-op, ALL of her little buddies circled around the table ready to dye eggs. I had brought in 2 dozen boiled eggs, but half were the brown eggs...it NEVER occurred to me when I boiled them that the brown ones would not be that easy to dye...yeesh...ya live and learn. Anyway, It was crazy and went quick--Each little toddler had their own way--some carefully placed their egg in the dye bowls, while others dropped their eggs in the dye. I also thought it would be a "good" idea to bring in bowls of glue and glitter for the eggs-- forgetting...my students were 2 years old. BUT...with the help of their moms, they managed to adorn their eggs. The activity lasted all of about 12 minutes, but I think they had fun.
Round 2
We did another dying activity at Annie's other preschool---again I was in charge (I do get myself into these things...). This time, I brought in all white eggs, a few different types of dye--oil and vinegar based. Some of these little kids were older, ages 3-5years old, so it was calmer. Again, each kid approached their egg dying differently--some were more careful than others and others were dying for the first time. All in all, it went a bit smoother than my first round of preschool students.
Round 3
Alas, we did one more round of dying eggs on Saturday with our family and cousins. FINALLY wising up--I put out a few crates of white bolied eggs and four bowls of simple vinegar dye....made some coffeesat down to catch up with my sister in law. In the end, I realized that you don't need many bells and whistles to entertain kids--a few eggs and some colored water will do JUST fine......
Happy Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment