Friday, May 7, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Week

This has been an exciting week at my little guys school. As families, we had an opportunity to thank the teachers that our kids interact with. For my little guy--I did not know where to begin. There have been so many that have made this year absolutely wonderful for him. They have inspired a love of books as he bounds off to school on "Library Day". Or made him laugh as he has had to learn to do knew things in PE and his coaches say really funny things that make the kids crack up! Then there is his homeroom teacher and her aid who have single handedly helped him learn to read. His homeroom teacher also just had a baby and so it amazes me that she can bestow the energy she does on the kids in her class all whilst being a new mom herself. There are also so many beautiful and caring staff members who make the world of my sons school go around to so that it is its own little village full of families who care a great deal about the school.

I mentioned a while back that Beech was dealing with lots of questions from the kids about his cleft lip. I have to give the school high marks because they truly helped us as parents navigate new territory. The principle called us immediately to discuss our concerns and helped us develop a plan to educate the kids about cleft affected children. I was so impressed with how much the school cared.

Anyway, this post is dedicated to my best friend and 2nd grade teacher, Sara Maes and to the wonderful teachers and staff at Baywood, Also to the beautiful, kind and loving teachers at Mrs. K's House Preschool--Sara, Amelia and Amanda. I am so grateful for how much you all have done for my kids. Beech and Annie are growing and flourishing daily because of the wonderful sunshine of education and wisdome you bestow onto them.

--thank you
For his homeroom teacher we put together gift baskets of bath products and a gossip magazine--because no real relaxing can be done without catching up on the "gossip of the stars" and we hope she will take some time for herself! For other teachers and staff members we put together treat bags with hand cream, starbucks cards and candy. -- love those Target treat bags!
We attatched a quote to the treat bags and soaps; which we gave to Annies teachers that said,
 "Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. " Chinese Proverb
This is how I feel my kids are being educated. At Baywood, there is life skills: intergrity, courage, wisdome etc and they study two a week. There is also Wee Care--a program that encourages kids to give back to those less fortunate by donating gently used items to the Samaritian House monthly. Mrs. K's House is an environmental school--so most of their learning is rooted around gardening, sharing, creating arts and crafts out of recycled items, also doing monthly donations for Wee Care to the Samaritian House. They are both involved in things that are so important to our family: volunteering, the environment and learning to give back. Their schools are constantly educating them by involving them in the process of these life lessons. --thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment