Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Just Love this Darn Ruffler

 I had forgotten why I originally wanted my ruffler in the first place...it was supposed to be for my little apron business. But, like any crafter, I was so excited with my new toy that I ran in a million other directions with it to see what it could do. Now, getting back to business, I cut out a few aprons and tested out my ruffler on the bodice to make it gathered. Normally, I run a large basting stitch and then spend some time gathering it up to pin it into the yolk piece.

To do this, first I cut out some scraps that were the same width as the top of the bodice on my apron piece. Then a ruffling I went. Twelve stitches was to loose, 1 stitch was too tightly gathered and six was j...u...s...t right! The ruffler made the top part of my Modern Day Pinefore gathered up with perfect pleats. Then I just went over them with a bit of steam and a hot iron. Then, I fit the top part of the bodice into the yolk and pinned it. It was so wonderful---no more guessing, undoing, re-doing or breaking my basting stitches. Just....ruffle, iron, pin and sew--I think this ruffler will definitely improve my production of these little aprons.
I want to thank Eddies Quilting Bee http://www.quiltingbee.com/ in Sunnyvale for all their wonderful help in finding the right ruffler. Their store is always more interested in selling their happy sewing clients the right thing--no matter how big or small the sale. --my ruffler was a purchase on the smaller side that made a big impact in my sewing life.

1 comment: