Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ahh..Lots of Neat Storage...

     A hunting we will go....a hunting we will go...Lately, I have been looking for some different type of storage solutions for my MAD room. I have little things that I have to go looking for when I am finishing an apron order such as; safety pins, iron on labels, stamps etc. I have decided that these things need a more organized home. Currently, I have a large butcher block in my studio and these little bits and bobs float around in various drawers. However, I also am learning from having a fledgling buisness that not being well organized can indeed hold me up. When I am finishing aprons, I often have to hunt for all of these little things, get them out, use them and then put them away.

   So, I went on a mission, latte in hand, searching my favorite haunts for unusual, yet practical storage containers and I found some charming things. Whenever I am shopping for eccelctic stuff, I do not think very much about what I am purchasing—Rather, I buy a load of things that look interesting and I figure out what to do with them when I get them home. So, I found a spice rack on a lazy Suzan, a neat wooden box and an old cigar box.—Ahh…lots of neat storage…

And while nursing a cold this weekend, I have been puttering around my little studio trying to figure out what to do with these new treasures ( I have been too sniffley to sew). For the spice rack, I decided to use it for those little things that float around. I re-labeled the lids with white pinked, white labels and put pins, glitter, safety pins, beads, sequins, and bobbins in the little glass jars---I LOVE that it turns around on the lazy Suzan.









Now the wooden box is my coolest treasure. I suspect is may have been a tailoring supply box for a sewing company and it fits all of my scissors beautifully! It is sized perfectly for scissors.



        Last, there is my cliché cigar box. I have recently started adding glitter to my labels or vintage items to add a bit of magic to them and the cigar box holds the glitter tubes like it was made for them.


   Anyway, my studio has morphed over time. When I first set it up, I did not know how to make creative and inspiring choices for furniture or storage. Orriginally, I went to IKEA and purchased a few things, but over time I realized that was not my taste and I needed a surrounding that was more asthetically pleasing. So, I turned to flea market books and vintage living blogs to see how other people set up their studios (I would get lost in the ecclectic images of the blogs). Now time has passed and I have made many changes based on what does and does not work. I thought I would share some of these ideas in case there is anyone out there who is new to creating a room of their own…





No comments:

Post a Comment