Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It Made Me Smile





    Valentine skirts for Miss Annie and V. I am in the process of cutting and sewing a few special skirts for their valentines day presents. Here is one that I finished last night with a ruffle I made using my handy dandy ruffler…I would not normally pick this type of novelty fabric--but I know they will love it.

They-- meaning my daughter Annie and V, one of the neighborhood kids who often comes over because her mom is gone a lot. She and her brother come from a family of five kids, so how they are raised seems to be far different from how my kids are reared. –It is not better or worse, just different. Anyway, I had put up boundaries a while after they moved in because I know that I am the type of person to bring anyone into our family and adopt them. Also, selfishly on my part, they added more work to my mothering responsibilities when I am most tired--at the end of the day. They often appear at dinner time and then... it is one or two more kids asking for “more milk” “the pink plate” etc.. So, I made rules that they were only allowed over one night a week for dinner. Sure for a few months, I was happier, less stressed at dinner time, but… I did not really feel better.
   
    Then, a few weeks ago I saw a PBS documentary about how we can positively affect someone’s life who may need our help. That even the tiniest bit of attention could affect their life positively in the long run. As I watched and heard the stories of how people came out of terrible circumstances because they had some positive influence—I felt really heavy hearted. I realized that there was not a reason that I could not share some of my mothering spirit with these kids
   
    So, I have been giving a bit of attention joyfully to these kids without it being detrimental to my well being. I am just trying to make more of a point to ask them about their day, who they played with, what they ate for lunch. I have also been fortunate enough to have my sister in law’s support. Over the last two years, Elizabeth has lovingly gone through her daughter’s wardrobe searching for hand me downs for V.

    Anyway, long story short, tonight at dinner we all sat at the table and started to eat spagetti and then V reminded me that we needed to do our, “good bad day talk”. I could see that the ritual of sharing her ups and downs of her 6year old day had become important to her (it is a ritual we do every night at dinner) and maybe she would take that ritual with her as she grows up...and it made me smile.



May your hunting be inspiring, your gathering be with those you love and your stitching be blissful...

No comments:

Post a Comment